Recently got engaged and want your spouse to immigrate to the U.S. so that you can start building your life together as a married couple? Here is how you do it!

What is a Fiancé Visa?

If you are a U.S. citizen who wants to bring your foreign fiancé(e) to the United States in order to get married, you will need to file a Form I-129F, Petition For Alien Fiancé(e). This is the first step to obtaining a K-1 nonimmigrant visa for your fiancé(e). The K-1 nonimmigrant visa is also known as a fiancé(e) visa.

What does the filing process entail?

You need to file the following with the USCIS:

  • Duly completed Form I-129;
  • Proof that you and your fiancé(e) intend to marry each other within 90 days of your fiancé(e); entering the U.S. as a K-1 non-immigrant;
  • Bona-fides of the relationship/engagement period to show its not for an immigration benefit.

After the paperwork is filed with the USCIS, the following steps follow:

  • Once the petition is approved, the National Visa Center (NVC), which is run by the U.S. State Department, assigns a case number and forwards your paperwork to the U.S. embassy or consulate closest to where the foreign fiancé lives.
  • The foreign fiancé completes a visa application (Form DS-160), submits it online (or according to the local consulate’s instructions), and pays the visa fee.
  • The foreign fiancé goes to an interview at the U.S. embassy or consulate, and presents any requested documents during the interview.
  • The foreign fiancé gets a visa stamp in his or her passport and uses it to enter the United States within six months.
  • The couple gets married within 90 days and files a green card application.

Fiancé visa can also be applied for a spouse of a U.S. Citizen. This is the first step for your spouse and his or her children to obtain a visa to come to the United States while you wait for USCIS to make a decision on the Form I-130. This is also known as K3 visa. To know more please visit us at our website.